Courtesy of software supplier SimplePlay, Vanessa is an anime-themed video slot with a pretty standard reel and payout structure. Players can land winning combinations on five reels with three rows and 30 adjustable paylines. The game leads spinners on a journey in a futuristic world where the main character Vanessa combats an unnamed lady villain in an attempt to prevent her from taking over the city.
The game was released in April 2021 and is definitely worth giving a spin as it is overloaded with fantastic features, including wilds, scatters, free spins, and a Power Wheel that can earn you extra prizes. Volatility is high and the long-term theoretical return averages 96.07%. Betting starts at $0.20 when a single payline is activated, with maximum wagers reaching $6,000 per spin at the highest betting level.
|Vanessa Slot Summary|
|Game Provider: SimplePlay||Release Date: 05.2021|
|Game Type: Video Slot||Theme(s): Cyberpunk, Future|
|Reels: 5||Wild Symbols: Yes|
|Rows: 3||Scatters: Yes|
|Paylines: 30 fixed lines||Free Spins: Yes|
|Payout/RTP: 96.07%||Bonus Game: Yes|
|Volatility Level: High||Progressive Jackpot: Yes|
|Min Bet: 0.20||Autoplay: Yes|
|Max Bet: 6000||Max Win: 2000x|
This 2021 release by SimplePlay leads reel spinners on a hot pursuit for immense rewards in a futuristic city where the main character Vanessa dwells. Vanessa is a schoolgirl with superpowers, although she barely looks like one with her revealing clothing and ample bosom. This character is somewhat of a shapeshifter. The not-so-innocent-looking schoolgirl can transform into a sword-wielding warrior, police officer, or journalist.
Vanessa has a nemesis in the face of an unnamed lady villain who appears in full glory during the free spins feature. One interesting aspect of this game is the element of gamification. Vanessa and her archenemy each have six lives, with live points being deducted whenever one prevails over the other. The electronic music playing in the background adds to the tension and improves the gameplay.
How Vanessa Compares to Other Slot Games
Many software providers have released anime-themed slots whose storyline revolves around teenage girls with superpowers. Moon Princess by Play’n GO is among the best examples from this genre. Loosely based on the Street Fighter franchise, the game features three female characters whose unique powers assist players in earning rewards.
Unlike Vanessa which is a standard line-based video slot, Moon Princess plays on five reels with five rows and awards payouts when three or more matching icons align vertically or horizontally. Winning symbols disappear, while the remaining icons drop one position down potentially triggering more paying combinations. Players must clear all symbols from the reel grid to unlock free spins. Like Vanessa, Moon Princess is a high-volatility slot but offers a better theoretical return of 96.50%.
More similar slots:
- Moon Princess by Play’n GO (96.50% RTP)
- Moon Princess 100 by Play’n GO (96.20% RTP)
- Koi Princess by NetEnt (96.00% RTP)
- Celestial Beauty by Skywind Group (96.50% RTP)
Vanessa Symbols and Payouts
Vanessa comes with 30 paylines, with players having the option to activate as many lines as they wish. With this in mind, we recommend you play all paylines as deactivating some dramatically decreases your chances of pocketing payouts. Identical symbols pay from left to right except the scatter which pays for three to five matches when it appears anywhere in view.
The top payout of 6.66 times the line bet drops whenever you land five-of-a-kind with the female warrior, the green-haired villain, or the schoolgirl. A five-of-a-kind with the handgun awards up 5 times the winning line bet, while the camera and the needle gun pay 4.33 times the line bet for five matches.
The remaining symbols with playing cards offer slightly less value as they yield maximum payouts of 4 times, 3.33 times, and 2.66 times the winning bet for five-of-a-kind. The scatter pays for as few as three matches whenever it appears anywhere in view.
|Vanessa Winning Combinations and Payouts|
|Symbols||3 Matches||4 Matches||5 Matches|
Bonus Features Overview
Like many SimplePlay releases, Vanessa offers a profusion of enticing and potentially rewarding bonus features. The developers have added wilds and scatters along with special ‘trigger’ symbols that appear during the free spins rounds to help you activate the power wheel feature that offers three categories of prizes as you shall see next.
Wilds and Scatters
Players should keep their eyes peeled for the grenade-shaped gem. It lands on the second, third, fourth, and fifth reels only in the base game and substitutes for all regular payers in the slot. Needless to say, this wild symbol gives your winning chances a good boost. The heart-shaped blue gem is the scatter. It returns payouts in both directions and activates the free spins feature in Vanessa.
Three or more scattered heart-shaped blue gems initiate the free spins round. Scatters are entirely absent from this feature but the game designers have compensated for their absence by including wilds and special trigger symbols (whip and sword) that appear exclusively on the third reel. Vanessa and the green-haired lady villain engage in a fierce battle during free spins, with each character having six lives.
Vanessa gets one point deducted from her life meter each time a whip symbol lands on the third reel. Respectively, points are deducted from the lady villain’s health bar whenever sword icons appear on reel 3. Players access the Power Wheel whenever the villain’s life meter gets entirely empty. If Vanessa’s life meter gets exhausted first, the free spins round ends and you return to the base game. Spinning the Power Wheel earns you one of three possible features.
- The Power Spin feature awards one additional spin with one or two wild reels.
- The Power Climb feature multiplies your free spins winnings by 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, or 6x.
- The Power Prize feature adds extra cash prizes of 10, 20, 50, 60, 80, or 100 times the total bet to your free spins winnings.
Pros & Cons of Vanessa
- The bonus features keep the game interesting despite its high volatility.
- The game is suitable for spinners on a budget as betting starts at $0.20 only.
- The progressive jackpot further boosts the excitement.
- Players cannot retrigger the free spins.
- Novice spinners may find the complex structure of the game perplexing.
- Wins in the base game are not as frequent due to the high volatility.
- How many free spins can I get in Vanessa?
- The number of free spins in Vanessa is not fixed. The feature continues until Vanessa’s health meter is entirely exhausted, in which case you return to the main game. If the opposite happens and the green-haired villain loses all six lives before Vanessa, the player proceeds to the Power Wheel feature.
- Do trigger symbols award any payouts?
- The trigger symbols with the sword and the whip do not return any payouts as they serve an entirely different function in the game. The sword trigger symbol is particularly useful since it takes away from the life points of Vanessa’s opponent, helping you unlock the Power Wheel bonus feature.
- What is the maximum individual win I can score in Vanessa?
- The maximum individual prize you can pocket amounts to 6.66 times the line bet. We should not forget the three progressive jackpots incorporated into the game. The mini, minor, or major jackpots are awarded randomly and you can pocket one of them on any given spin. At the time of publication, the major jackpot has escalated to a seven-figure amount.