Welcome to the Megaways section of SlotsMove.com. Here you can learn all about this new breed of online slots and find comprehensive reviews of the hottest releases that implement this innovative payout mechanic. Our goal is to deliver reliable and unbiased information that can help you discover the Megaways slots that best correspond to your preferences and risk tolerance. On this page, we explain how this ingenious payout mechanic works and cover the most common features you will encounter in Megaways slots.
The Megaways Payout Mechanic at a Glance
Megaways slots are unique in that they use a random reel modifier rather than a standard grid with a fixed number of reels and rows. There are no paylines as such since all symbols act as scatters. The number of symbols appearing on each reel changes on every spin but the exact range of possible winning combinations varies from one release to the next.
The number of ways to win is typically displayed above the reels after each spin. However, players can easily calculate it themselves by multiplying the number of symbols appearing on each reel. To give you an example, BigTime Gaming’s White Rabbit unleashes its full potential during the bonus feature when up to twelve symbols can appear on each of the five reels, allowing for a whopping 248,832 winning ways per spin (12 x 12 x 12 x 12 x 12 = 248,832).
Common In-Game Features in Megaways Slots
Slots that implement this lucrative payout mechanic are normally rich in special features that further increase players’ engagement and level of interaction. Slot mavens should brace themselves for cascading reels with unlimited win multipliers, mystery symbols, free spins, expanding wilds, and infinite retriggers.
There is normally the option to buy your way into the bonus features rather than waiting until you eventually trigger them yourself. This usually comes at the expense of a premium equal to twenty or thirty times your base bet. The exact price of purchasing the bonus feature is again game-specific.
BigTime Gaming Set the Trend, Others Followed Suit
Pioneered in 2016 by BigTime Gaming, Megaways slots became a runaway success, so much so that the Australian iGaming company started to lease its trademark game engine to rival studios. Here are some of the most prominent slot developers that have jumped on the Megaways bandwagon via licensing partnerships with BigTime Gaming.
- NetEnt has rereleased several of its most iconic slot titles in the Megaways format, including classics like Divine Fortune, Fruit Shop, Twin Spin, and Dazzle Me.
- Pragmatic Play inked a deal with BigTime Gaming in April 2020 and launched over a dozen Megaways slots via this strategic partnership. The most notable mentions include Big Bass Bonanza, Great Rhino, Chilli Heat, and Madame Destiny.
- Microgaming clinched a similar deal with the Aussie software studio in October 2020. The company employed the trademarked payout mechanic in Shamrock Holmes and Poseidon Ancient Fortunes to great acclaim.
- WMS kept in step with the latest innovations in online slot development and remastered Raging Rhino, Road the Riches, and Montezuma in the Megaways format. Spartacus Megaways is particularly impressive as it can deliver up to one million winning ways per spin.
- Red Tiger Gaming also came up with several brilliantly crafted Megaways slots, including Well of Wilds, Big Cat Rescue, Dynamite Riches, and Pirates’ Plenty. The software studio scooped a Global Gaming Award in the category Casino Product of the Year for its Megaways version of Gonzo’s Quest, created in collaboration with NetEnt.
Megaways Slots FAQs
What is the average theoretical return in online slots from the Megaways category?
The theoretical return varies from one slot to another, not to mention many software suppliers now offer a range of return percentages for online casinos to choose from. In other words, the exact percentage will sometimes depend on where you play.
How volatile are Megaways slots?
Megaways slots usually rank on the higher end of the volatility scale despite the fact they offer a remarkably greater number of winning ways. They are capable of yielding massive payouts but the big wins will come around less frequently. This renders them suitable for thrill-seekers and players with larger bankrolls. Budget-conscious spinners should go for releases with low or medium volatility like Fa Fa Spin Megaways and Irish Riches Megaways.
Will I win more money when playing Megaways slots?
Megaways slots are capable of producing thousands of winning ways but this does not necessarily mean you will pocket more money at the end of your spinning session. Various factors can impact your profits, including your wager size, the winning combinations you land, and the volatility levels of the Megaways slots you play.
Are Megaways slots compatible with mobile devices?
Megaways slots are generally designed using the HTML5 technology, which is highly regarded for its cross-platform support. You can play them directly in your browser on any device you choose, be it a desktop computer, laptop, tablet, or smartphone. This new breed of games is compatible with all widespread browsers, including Safari, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Opera, and Mozilla Firefox.
Can I win a progressive jackpot in a Megaways slot?
You certainly can if you opt for releases like Irish Riches by Blueprint Gaming, The Great Pigsby by Relax Gaming, or Bonanza by BigTime Gaming. All three games offer multi-tiered jackpots (mini, midi, major, and mega) that can be won during the bonus feature. The largest mega pot starts seeding at the impressive amount of $300,000.